Our first jobs usually didn’t pay that well, but left us with lots of stories to tell. We’d like to hear about your fledgling foray into the workplace in our MY FIRST JOB Poetry and Prose Series!
PROMPT: Tell us about your first job in a poem (any reasonable length) or prose piece (300 words or fewer — this word limit also applies to prose poems).
WHAT: Submissions can be original or previously published poems or prose. You retain all rights to your work and give Silver Birch Press permission to publish the piece on social media. We are a nonprofit blog and offer no monetary compensation to contributors. If your piece was previously published, please tell us where/when so we can credit the original publisher.
HOW TO SUBMIT: Email one poem or prose piece to SBPSUBMISSIONS@gmail.com as an MSWord attachment — and in the same file include your name, contact info (including email address), one-paragraph author’s bio (written in third person), and any notes about your creative process or thoughts about your piece. Please put all this information in one MSWord document and title the file with your last name (and only your last name). Write “JOB” in the subject line of the email. If available, please send a photo of yourself around the time you worked your first job — and provide a caption for the photo (where, when, what). Send the photo as a separate jpg attachment.
To help everyone understand our submission requirements, we’ve prepared the following checklist.
1. Send ONE MS Word document TITLED WITH YOUR LAST NAME (e.g. Smith.doc or Jones.docx).
2. In the same MS Word document, include your contact information (name, mailing address, email address).
3. In the same MS Word document, include a one-paragraph author’s bio, written in the third person. You are encouraged to include links to your books, websites, and social media accounts — we want to help promote you!
4. In the same MS Word document, include a note about your poem/prose or creative process written in the first person (this is optional — but encouraged).
5. In the same MS Word document, include a caption for your photo (including where, when and/or date taken).
6. If available, send a photo of yourself at the age when you had the job as a SEPARATE jpg attachment (not in the MS Word document). Title the photo with your last name (e.g., Jones.jpg). Also send a current photo to accompany your bio.
7. Email to SBPSUBMISSIONS@gmail.com — and put “JOB” in the subject line.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Wednesday, May 31, 2017
PHOTO: Welder at boat and submarine building yard, 1943 (Bernard Hoffman, LIFE Magazine).