How did you come by your first, middle, or last name? What’s the “meaning” of your name? How do you feel about your name? If you could do it all over (or if you already have), what name would you choose for yourself? How did you get your nickname? Did a childhood or “baby” name stick? We want to know all about your name (or names) — so tell us in a poem for our ALL ABOUT MY NAME Poetry Series.
PROMPT: In a poem, tell us all about your name — first, middle, last (or any combination thereof). Please send a favorite photo of yourself — at any age — to accompany the poem, and provide a caption for the photo.
WHAT: Submissions can be original or previously published poems. You retain all rights to your work and give Silver Birch Press permission to publish on social media and in a potential print edition.
WHEN: We’ll feature the poems and photos in the Silver Birch Press ALL ABOUT MY NAME Poetry Series during June and July 2015.
HOW TO SUBMIT: Email one poem to firstname.lastname@example.org as an MSWord attachment — and in the same file include your name, contact info (including email address), one-paragraph author’s bio (written in third person), and any notes about your creative process or thoughts about your poem. PLEASE — put all of this information in one MSWord document and title the file with your last name (and only your last name). Write”Name” in subject line of email. Please send a favorite photo of yourself — at any age — to accompany the poem, and provide a caption for the photo.
To help everyone understand our submission requirements, we’ve prepared the following checklist.
1. Send ONE MS Word document TITLED WITH YOUR LAST NAME (e.g. Smith.doc or Jones.docx).
2. In the same MS Word document, include your contact information (name, mailing address, email address).
3. In the same MS Word document, include an author’s bio, written in the third person (e.g., Mary Jones has been writing since age five…”)
4. In the same MS Word document, include a note about your poem or creative process (this is optional).
5. In the same MS Word document, include a caption for your photo (including where, when and/or date taken).
6. Send a favorite photo of yourself at any age as a SEPARATE jpg attachment (not in the MS Word document). Title the photo with your last name (e.g., Jones.jpg).
7. Email to email@example.com — and put NAME in the subject line.
DEADLINE: Monday, June 15, 2015
EDITOR’S NOTE: If your poem is selected for the series, you will be notified by June 30, 2015.